Monday, February 22, 2010
Love Food Hate Waste
I have found the ultimate website for tips and ideas on being frugal with groceries and food, http://www.lovefoodhatewaste.com/. As many of you know I am a big fan of canning and freezing foods to preserve them, but this website has taught me so many other cool tricks to reducing the food waste we create. It is sickening to think of the garbage dumps all across the country and how much food waste those heaps represents. I'm a firm believer that we not only eat too much as Americans but because our portion sizes are so out of wack we prepare too much food to be consumed at any one given time. When was the last time you walked away from a holiday dinner, office party, or catered event and there weren't mounds of food left over and eventually trashed? Not to mention the trashed leftovers from the meals we prepare every day for our own families. So this is my challenge to you: try to reduce the portion of food you cook for your family this week. Even if it doesn't look like its going to be enough food for your family's dinner - fight the urge to prepare more and just see how far the food spreads at the dinner table. Worse case scenario your family has room leftover for a healthy dessert of fresh fruit. There are so many benefits to planning meals like this :
1. Nutritional : When there are unhealthy portion sizes present, many people will continue eating past the point of being full
2. Financial : I have found that I can serve 1/2 the portion of meat at dinner than I was, and my family is still satisfied after the meal. The only difference is I'm not throwing away the extra 1/2 portion after it has gotten old in the fridge as leftovers. I have significantly cut down on grocery expenses!
3. Environmental : Whenever we can reduce unnecessary waste in landfills, it is a good thing!
Leave any helpful tips in the comment section and lets see if we can do something to reduce food waste within our individual families.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment