Monday, February 22, 2010

Part II, Re-purposing Clothes: Baby Dress to Big Girl Skirt

When we found out our second (and final) child was going to be a boy I spent a lot of time going through all our stored baby girl clothes and dresses. I found so many summer dresses that brought back the sweetest memories of my little girl as a baby I knew I wasn't ready to give them up...but the idea of refashioning them into something she could wear now was very appealing to me...so even though there is no picture tutorial, I will walk you through what I did so you can see your little girl's once again in their sweet baby girl prints. I had a size 18 mo. halter dress. it was not this exact one (because I didn't think to take a picture of the dress before) but a very similar style to the pictured one here:
You can see where I 'm going with this, right? I cut the top portion off of the dress, leaving enough of at the top to fold over and run elastic through as a waistband. I usually deduct 2 inches from my child's waist measurement for the elastic to get a good snug fitting skirt. Fold over and sew a "tunnel" for the elastic leaving a small opening to thread the elastic through. Once the elastic is through I like to sew up bothes sides of the waist to keep it in place. Hem if needed. And Voila your little girls new skirt already full of old memories!
Happy Crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment